Whether you’re running one short-term rental or twenty, there’s no room for error when it comes to your cleaning processes.
A single stray hair or dusty surface can lead to a bad review that impacts your reputation. And, with some guests, all the apologies and discount vouchers you can offer won’t be enough to prevent this.
The good news is that a great Airbnb cleaning checklists (and reminders) can give you peace of mind that your team has all the information they need to consistently meet your high standards.
In this article, we explore what to include in your cleaning kit and how to implement your checklist to best help your team. We also explain how to automate scheduling and team communications with an operations platform and mobile app that will save you even more time.
Don’t miss our downloadable Airbnb cleaning checklist and master cleaning guide. You can download this for your team to refer to on the go.
Delight guests every time with efficient, effective Airbnb cleaning guidelines. Download the free checklist
Airbnb cleaning checklist
This cleaning checklist covers the seven main areas of most properties and is representative of the information your cleaners will need to ensure they meet your expectations, as well as those of your homeowners and guests.
Of course, each property is unique, so you'll need to customize any checklist to meet those requirements. For this, you can use a tool like Breezeway to reduce your workload. We explore this further later in this article.
Make sure the furniture and general space is tidy
- Dust furniture, fans and light fixtures
- Open all curtains and blinds
- Sweep floors
Make sure the bed and other sleeping areas are clean and presentableChange sheets, and fit to mattress with flat sheet folded down
- Change sheets, and fit to mattress with flat sheet folded down
- Use reference photo to arrange pillows
- Change pillowcases and shams
- Check whether the pillow protectors are stained
- Prop pillows up at 45-degree angle, with opening facing inward
- Place throw pillows in front of those with pillowcases
- Rate the cleanliness of the comforter or bedspread
- Clean under the bed and check for left items, trash, and dust
Make sure the closet is clean and organized
- Dust the shelves
- Remove any wire hangers
Use reference photo to ensure general area is welcoming and fully-stocked
- Clean floors, counters, cabinets, and all other surfaces
- Run garbage disposal with dish soap and water to make sure all debris is gone
- Empty trash can and replace with new bags
- Restock kitchen supplies
- Leave 3 rolls of paper towels under the sink
- Leave dish soap and dishwasher pods under the sink
- Leave new sponge under the sink
Make sure the dishwasher is clean and empty
- Empty all of the dishes
- Fill with rinse aid
- Wipe down the front of the dishwasher
- Make sure the dishwasher doesn’t smell
Make sure the fridge is clean and ready for use
- Remove all food and clean shelves and drawers
- Check what temperature it’s set at
- Ensure contact magnet is prominently placed
- Wipe down front of fridge (use stainless cleaner if necessary)
Check the microwave for cleanliness
- Wipe down front and inside
- Remove and clean turntable
- Check whether the buttons are functioning properly
Check the oven for cleanliness
- Make sure the inside is clean and there is no spilt food
- Clean knobs and stove top
- Check under range hood for grease in vent
Ensure sink is clean
- Wipe down the faucet
- Run faucet to test for hot water
- Clean and polish the inside of the sink
Check the toaster for cleanliness
- Remove all of the crumbs
- Lift toaster and clean exterior
H4 Use reference photo to ensure furniture is arranged correctly
Dust the furniture and all surfaces
Dust all the lamps
Dust the ceiling fan
Dust windows, blinds, and ledges
Report any furniture or carpet stains that need removing
Check under the couch and each couch cushion for debris
Make sure the sleeper sofa couch has a clean mattress pad
Make sure clean sleeper sofa linens are in living room closet
H4 Check whether the floors and carpets are spotless
Steam mop floors
H4 Check the TV for cleanliness and function
Dust the TV screen
Sanitize TV remotes
H4 Make sure the vanity and mirror are spotless
Clean, scrub, and sanitize sink, backsplash, mirror, and faucet
Report an issue if drain is slow
H4 Check whether the shower and bathtub look spotless
Clean, scrub, and sanitize shower and tub
Polish chrome (easy to do with dry rug)
Check to ensure no mildew or mold in shower and tub
Check whether shower head and drain are clear
Clean the shower curtain
Use vacuum on tiled floors, then mop
H4 Make sure the toilet is clean
Clean and sanitize toilet, including base, lid, and seat
Ensure there are at least two full rolls of toilet paper available
Ensure there is one bath mat per tub and shower
Check how many towels there are
Use reference photo to ensure furniture is arranged correctly
- Dust the furniture and all surfaces
- Dust all the lamps
- Dust the ceiling fan
- Dust windows, blinds, and ledges
- Report any furniture or carpet stains that need removing
- Check under the couch and each couch cushion for debris
- Make sure the sleeper sofa couch has a clean mattress pad
- Make sure clean sleeper sofa linens are in living room closet
Check whether the floors and carpets are spotless
- Steam mop floors
- Vacuum carpet
Check the TV for cleanliness and function
- Dust the TV screen
- Sanitize TV remotes
Make sure the vanity and mirror are spotless
- Clean, scrub, and sanitize sink, backsplash, mirror, and faucet
- Report an issue if drain is slow
Check whether the shower and bathtub look spotless
- Clean, scrub, and sanitize shower and tub
- Polish chrome (easy to do with dry rug)
- Check to ensure no mildew or mold in shower and tub
- Check whether shower head and drain are clear
- Clean the shower curtain
- Use vacuum on tiled floors, then mop
Make sure the toilet is clean
- Clean and sanitize toilet, including base, lid, and seat
- Ensure there are at least two full rolls of toilet paper available
- Ensure there is one bath mat per tub and shower
- Check how many towels there are
Use reference photo to ensure dining room is arranged correctly
- Dust the table
- Dust the chairs
- Dust the candle holders
- Dust window sills, blinds, and ledges
- Sweep the floors
Check the washer for cleanliness
- Wipe down the washer and ensure there is no mold in seal
- Ensure there is enough laundry detergent
Check the dryer for cleanliness
- Wipe down the dryer
- Clean out lint trap
Make sure the patio is organized and clean
- Wipe off the patio set
- Sweep the patio deck of leaves and debris
- Clean BBQ grill
Clean outside area of all debris
- Sweep front walkway of all leaves
How to create and implement effective Airbnb checklists
Having an Airbnb checklist is one thing, but if you can’t regularly update it and effectively distribute it, your team will quickly get out of sync and become frustrated. In this section, we look at how you can support your team and streamline your operations with defined processes and Airbnb cleaning software.
Equip cleaners with clearly defined processes
To retain great cleaners and make it easy for new ones to understand your requirements, you need to create clear processes. This means you should:
- Break down routine tasks into steps that match your checklists
- Include regular training on hygiene and safety
- Regularly review your checklists to ensure they cover new amenities or to see if they can be improved
- Use a property care platform with customizable features for quality assurance
Ideally, your property care platform will include these quality assurance features:
- Pre-loaded checklist templates so you don’t miss anything out
- Representative photos to illustrate quality standards visually
- Photo uploads so your team can verify task completion and compare against representative images
- Time estimates and tracking tools so you can compare desired clean time against actual clean time
- A mobile app to make it easy for everyone to stay updated on checklists
In Breezeway, you can efficiently add or remove sections to create an easy-to-use checklist for your team
Use software to automate scheduling
Even with a great checklist in place, cleans can be missed because of miscommunication and scheduling errors. However, with Airbnb management software for automated scheduling, you can eliminate the possibility of a missed clean due to a scheduling error or team communication issue.
For example, Vanwaw Corporation Rentals saved over $800 a month by implementing automated scheduling. With Breezeway’s solution, they were able to increase revenue by avoiding missed cleans and taking on more last-minute bookings.
Gain a complete overview of your team’s automated schedule inside Breezeway
Saving hours of scheduling each week, you and your team will then get notifications with every reservation or status update. Book a demo here.
Streamline team communications
To ensure that your team is kept in the loop on checklist amendments, repairs, and property status, you need a centralized communication solution. And Whatsapp just doesn’t cut it when messages can easily get lost or confused.
Instead, use Breezeway to give your team an instant overview of task updates, comments from colleagues, and real-time updates on maintenance issues. While your team gets automated notifications on clean status, you’ll be able to view property readiness in the same dashboard.
Easily view task status and message your team inside Breezeway’s dashboard
Include inspections in your turnover workflow
It’s one thing to give your team a checklist to use, but to ensure it’s working optimally you need to have visibility over how they’re implementing it. By integrating regular inspections into your turnover workflow, you can ensure standards are maintained every time.
To make it easy for your team to follow this step and to reduce the time it takes to look over properties, you should:
- Set up a recurring inspection task
- Include instructions for your team to upload a photo of each room in your cleaning checklist
- Equip them with an app where they can easily upload photos that can be checked against these representative photos
To see an example of what this looks like in action, see our case study on Pocono Mountain Rentals, who reduced their inspection time by 60 minutes thanks to gaining extra visibility on team cleans.
Your team can upload images directly from their IoS or Android phone inside Breezeway’s app
Airbnb cleaning kit and inventory management
To accompany your cleaning checklist, you need a comprehensive cleaning kit. Here's an example list you can check your current inventory of cleaning supplies against:
- Alcohol-based glass cleaner
- All-purpose cleaning spray
- Dish soap
- EPA-registered disinfectants
- Fragrance-free laundry detergent
- Floor scraper chisel
- Microfiber dusters
- Multi-surface floor cleaner
- Nylon scrub pads
- Paper towels
- Spray-based oven cleaner
- Stainless steel cleaner
- Stain-removing carpet cleaner
- Swiffer/mop and broom
- Toilet paper
- Trash bags
- Upright vacuum
- Wood polish
Pro-tip: Stay ahead of stocking issues by using Breezeway’s inventory management solution. Your team can update the app after each clean and you’ll be notified instantly when supplies are running low.
Cleaning checklists can be invaluable in helping you save time while ensuring high standards are met across your vacation rentals.
However, when you’re managing more than a couple of properties, it can be difficult to stay on top of distributing and updating unit-specific checklists. As a result, communication issues can start to arise and key tasks can be missed.
To avoid these issues and to optimize the use of your cleaning checklists, you should:
- Create clearly defined processes
- Use software with customizable checklists
- Use an automated scheduling tool
- Centralize team communications
- Provide cleaners with a mobile app
- Include inspections in your turnover workflow
The good news? You can do all this and more inside Breezeway’s property care platform. With customizable checklists, inventory management, and an intuitive mobile app, you can save time while creating standardized processes that please both your guests and your homeowners.
Delight guests every time with efficient, effective Airbnb cleaning guidelines. Download the free checklist
Frequently asked questions about Airbnb cleaning checklists
What is the cleanliness standard for Airbnb?
Airbnb states that all properties should meet a high cleanliness standard and be free from mold, dust, pet dander, and trash. They also advise that guests report any serious cleanliness issues in the resolution center as well as leaving a review.
How often should an Airbnb be deep-cleaned?
While Airbnb does not have specific guidelines for deep-cleaning frequency, it’s generally recommended to perform one at least once every few months. You should also complete a deep clean if you’ve had a large party or a particularly long stay booked in.
How can I make sure my Airbnb is always clean and safe for guests?
You can ensure that cleanliness and safety standards are met in your Airbnb by using a cleaning checklist. This is a clear, comprehensive document cleaners can use to tick off tasks as they go through the cleaning process.
To further streamline your operations and reduce communication errors and missed cleans, use a property care platform like Breezeway. This allows you to customize checklist templates, automate scheduling, and centralize messaging to avoid issues getting overlooked.